Is was reported on August 11, 1959 that a 67-year-old widow named Florence Hill of Denver, Colorado was awoken by the sound of her dog Boots growling. Here’s how she described what had happened:
“I woke up from a nap the other night and there he was, this little mouse, on the sewing machine right beside my bed.
“I opened my mouth to yell and he jumped right in: I clinched my teeth right away and caught him by the tail. He was crawling and scratching to get away and he was going right down my throat. I just couldn’t keep hold of him.
“I could feel him crawling all the way down.
Yes, you heard it correctly: she swallowed the live mouse.
She continued, “It was the most horrible night I’ve ever spent…
“I went to Denver General Hospital yesterday. They X-rayed me and didn’t find a thing wrong. They kept me there for six hours, then told me to eat and drink plenty and sent me home.
“I feel pretty good now.”