Fascinating True Stories From the Flip Side of History

On the Web Since 1994

Podcasting Since January 2008

Racoon Prevents House Fire

It was reported on August 3, 1965, that Mr. & Mrs. John Ahlfeldt of Baltimore, Maryland were asleep while their apartment filled with thick smoke produced by a faulty electric fan.

The two could have died, but they were awoken around 6 AM by a loud banging sound. It was being made by their pet raccoon Gingus. He was repeatedly hitting their bedroom door against a dresser, which awoke the couple.

The fan was unplugged and the apartment aired out. Both the couple and their hero Gingus were unharmed.

1916 photograph of a raccoon.
1916 photograph of a raccoon. Archive.org image.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
You may also enjoy these stories:
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Language

Follow the Podcast

Recent Podcast Episodes

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x