On March 7, 1906, workmen remodeling a building that ran between 118 and 122 Elm Street in New York City found two small boxes that were covered with a thick layer of dust, indicating that they had been there undisturbed for quite some time.
Upon opening the boxes, they discovered the mummified bodies of three infants, an adult’s skull, and the shriveled hand of an adult.
The date of 1868 was written on both boxes, which means they could have been there for nearly forty years.
No one knew who placed the human remains there or why they had been stored. The coroner found no indication of foul play.